Search This Blog

Friday, March 03, 2006

Speaking of prayer...

In the post below, I answered the question "How do you cope with what you see?", by saying "prayer, and lots of it", and also by talking through it each day. Following along that theme, I'm currently reading Richard Foster's book, Prayer: Finding the Hearts True Home. I've read Fosters other books, and really enjoyed and was challenged by them. This one is just as good. One of his strengths is that he draws upon the whole of Christian history, not just the past 30 years (like some other contemporary authors). Reading this book will excite you and draw you into a deeper prayer life. Not bad for $24!

This book might also prompt you to read his other books. I also recommend Spiritual Classics and Devotional Classics. Those two explore extended passages from some of the older Christian writers. Following each section are personal reflection and group questions. They certainly stretched me out of my comfortable little way of seeing our faith. I regularly go back to these books, and also search out the original books that the passages come from. Let me know what you think of them.

Finally, Streams of Living Water will challenge you to learn about other Christian traditions, not denominations mind you, but traditions. Quoting from a summary "The six streams Foster presents are: the Contemplative, or prayer-filled life; the life of Holiness, or the virtuous life; the Charismatic, or Spirit-empowered life; the life of Social Justice, or the compassionate life; the Evangelical, or Word-centered life; and finally, the Incarnational, or sacramental life." His book looks at strengths and possible weaknesses of each tradition. He is even so bold as to suggest how merging a couple of streams could strengthen each. The section on the Incarnational Life is one of my all-time favorite chapters in any book. This one will also stretch you.

OK, enough Foster for now. Let me know what you decide to pick up.

No comments: