Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"How do you cope with what you see?"

Last weekend, a video describing some of what we do when we walk downtown was shown in service. I have to tell you we were a bit hesitant about doing the video, because we're not doing it to be noticed. However, Pastors Phil and Brad assured us that if the story is told so that others will be inspired to do likewise, then that is good.

Several people have since asked how they can be involved. We are going to be having a "training session", which really isn't the right term for it, in a couple of weeks, followed by a trip downtown. We'll be announcing that soon.

I just received a very nice email from someone at church, who is inspired to get out and help, but is understandably concerned about being overwhelmed by the needs, and about bringing that home. That is a great question, and I've included my answer below. Bill & Casey will also have worthwhile insights to the question.

About your question about how we cope, the short answer is prayer and lots of it. The long answer is: Before we get out of the car, we pray that God will make us responsive to what we see, will bring the people He wants us to meet to us, and that we are offering this time to Him. As we walk, we'll spontaneously pray (eyes open, of course, because I don't want to walk into a lamp post!) for people we see. Sometimes when we get to talk to some people for a while, we'll get some of their story, which is usually quite sad but with seeds of hope. We ask if they'd like us to pray for them and the answer is always "Yes please!". As we walk away we again ask for God's protection on that person.

As we drive home we talk about what we're learned and who we met, and what God is doing. Sometimes if we have to really decompress we go for a coffee. Sometimes I'm still bothered when I get home, but fortunately my wife is very understanding, and let's me tell her what I've seen.
A couple of times I've woken up in the middle of the night worried about someone we met, and I'll pray for their protection through the night. The next day at church I'll find out that Casey and Bill also woke up at the same time and prayed for that person.


We keep our eyes open for people we've met before, and sometimes we do. Often we don't, and I'm saddened.

About wanting to do more than you actually can, I'd say that you might feel that way, but you absolutely can't let that chain you down. We know we're not getting people off of the streets and into jobs (although I pray that will happen). We helping ensure that some people's hands don't freeze off in the night. We are helping people get through the day. Like I said, we are offering this time to God to use as he sees fit. Without that mindset of obedience, it would be too depressing to do.


Blessings!

No comments: