Search This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2006

Swaziland-Part 1

It's been awhile since I've posted. I've been in Swaziland with Pastors Phil & Brad, Jim, and a couple of newly-met brothers and sisters (from Portland OR, St. Louis, Pennsylvania...). We were there an a "Vision Trip" (we were told to roll down our sleeves and be receptive and learn...) as opposed to a Mission Trip. We've been back a week, and I'll still processing what I saw. Perhaps giving snapshots will help both you and I see what is happening to our brothers and sisters in southern Africa.

One of my big take-aways was again that God never fails to surprise me. We went over prepared (as much as we could) to be heart-broken by what we were going to see. That happened. But I was really surprised by the hope and joy we saw in the rural area of Swaziland we were in. Here there is a 42% HIV/AIDS prevalance level, and it's really taking its toll on the communities. And yet people are hopeful and joyful because they have a bigger and more real and intimate vision of God. They really believe that with their service to their community in Jesus' name that the tide can be turned and that they will be able to raise the children aged 5-15 to adulthood free of HIV. At that point the corner will have been turned.
Such faith!
We went expecting to have our hearts broken, and they were. But not only were they broken so that we could feel their pain, but also that we could feel their joy. Without being able to feel their pain, I don't think I'd be able to fully understand their joy.
More rambling thoughts to come...

2 comments:

MattA said...

Dear L-b-Faith,

Thank you for your comments. I agree: I am still processing how their joy is a challenge to my tendancy to whine...

That is an excellent question about the prenatal care. This is what we learned during the orientation session (of course, a medical professional can clarify this...). The blood supplies of the mother and the unborn child actually do not mix. Nutrients and oxygen and C02 are exchanged, but that's effectively it. The unborn child does not have HIV even if the mom does. The problem arises during vaginal birth, due to the nature of the tissues and the blood involved. At this stage the child has a 20% chance of acquiring the HIV virus from mom.

Now, in the developed world, the solution is a C-section, which if done properly apparently reduces the transmission rate to 0%.
We were told that in the area we were visiting, a C-section was out of the question: they just don't have the facilities or staff.
So there is good and bad news: the unborn child doesn't automatically have HIV from mom, but has a 20% chance of acquiring it during vaginal birth (which is much lower than I was expecting...still high though...)

You raise a good point, because there is a course of drugs that can be given within a couple of days of expected exposure which will effectively eliminate the virus (so we were told). One would think that these drugs should be given to newborns of HIV+ moms. I'm wondering about three things:
1) Cost
2) Other health effects on a newborn
3) Since HIV doesn't exhibit symptoms for maybe 8-10 years, many of these children will be born to moms who don't know they are HIV+. There is talk of screening during pregnancy, and I think South Africa is doing that. I'm not sure about Swaziland, but I'll look into it.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful questions...

Blessings...

MattA said...

Dear Live_by_Faith,

Thank you for pointing out the idea about a single dose during delivery cutting transmission.

I forgot completely about the risk with breast-feeding. Thank you for pointing it out, and also for the link concerning water and breastfeeding.

I'm glad you were hopeful. I see reason for hope here: with clean water (which is a focus for the area of Swaziland we are involved in), and subsidized baby formula for 6 months (or however long until the baby is on "solid" food), the transmission via breastfeeding could be eliminated. I do see reason for hope! I know that doesn't help with the 20%, though, and that is heartbreaking.

Blessings...